Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kitchen Happenings and Other Randomness

Remember a while back I had a Nice Try making PW's cinnamon rolls? I took everyone's advice, and then some, and tried it again, though I didn't use the same recipe. I had a thought that maybe part of my trouble was trying to cut down a recipe that made 50 rolls. So, I called Mother and she gave me Aunt Marlaine's cinnamon roll recipe. I didn't change a whole lot about what I did, but I did make some modifications: A gal I work with suggested that maybe I was using too much cinnamon/sugar on the inside, and that could be part of the reason I couldn't get them to roll up tight. Good point. I also rolled toward myself instead of away. Having made these changes, here's what happened:



Not bad. Here's how they turned out:



Not perfect, but not bad. I'll keep working on it. I'm afraid this time I used too little cinnamon/sugar. I'll keep playing around with it.

In other kitchen news, Carter now has an obsession with "cooking" bread. He helped me a while back make some French Onion bread and now wants to do it every Saturday, Sunday, pretty much any day I don't make him get dressed first thing in the morning and head out the door. He's a good helper, a little impatient when it comes to letting the bread rise, but good help.




He made his own little loaf of bread.


He brushed butter on the top.


But he wasn't done - he had to help in the cheese department when I made lasagna that night to go with the bread. (Does lasagna go with bread, or does bread go with lasagna? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?)


Other Randomness:
Here are a few pics from Christmas (yes, Christmas) and other fun times, in no particular order:

Got new 'pow-pows' for Christmas
Andre got a sit n spin for Christmas.
Eating pa-corn with Grandpa Christmas Eve.

Going for a Sunday drive at our house. (Looks like we need a bigger vehicle!)

Andre & Uncle Jeremy (aka Dad) & Carter playing on Christmas Eve.

1 comments:

Katie said...

girl, I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect cinnamon roll! :) and that teeny loaf of bread is cute!