Friday, January 8, 2010

Nice Try


I was at home yesterday, enjoying the fabulous weather (not in school) from the comfort of my home in the wonderful company of our 2 year old son. I got a wild hair and decided to try and make cinnamon rolls. Not just any cinnamon rolls, but The Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls. Remember, I got her cookbook for Christmas... Moving on, as I read the recipe, I realized it makes 50 cinnamon rolls. We like them and all, but 50? So I decided to cut it in half, still, 25 is a good number of rolls... (I only came out with 17 in the end...shh!!!)

Here we go, can't be that hard - are you kidding me? Do I really only have 3 cups of flour? No, couldn't be... Well, I guess I do have a little bit of bread flour, surely it won't make a big difference... and it didn't.

I don't have a picture of mine, the picture above it what they are supposed to look like. I made a valiant effort, but I couldn't quite duplicate this picture... I've discovered that my biggest fault is rolling them up. I never get them tight enough so when I cut them, they more or less fall apart. (If anyone has any fabulous tips on this part, clue me in, would ya?) I will tell you, they taste pret-ty darn good for my first time... they can only get better with practice, right?

5 comments:

Katie said...

I JUST looked up this recipe yesterday - so I knew who's recipe it was just by the photo! :) When I make them (but with Paula Dean's recipe) I leave a raw edge, so it will stick better when I roll it up. Feel free to send a few this way. ;)

The 5 C's said...

yes, it does get better w/practice. Diddo w/katie's idea. I pinch the ends together as I go, so the edges are tight too. I use a bread knife to cut, I've heard of floss, but tried it once and I couldn't get it too cute, my dough was too dense/thick.

Geiger Family said...

I will try that. I also think that maybe if I cut whole roll in half before I roll it, that will give me less to fight with... Trial & error I guess. Thanks for the tips!!

The 5 C's said...

did you have school today? Or just working?

Amanda said...

I made them Christmas morning and they are perfect! Then, I tried to make them New Year's day but I didn't let the milk mixture cool enough and it killed the yeast. I didn't discover this until AFTER I had mixed in the 8 cups of flour! LOL Oh well, there's always next time.