Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This Year + Our Family = ER Visits

In the last couple of months our family has been to the doctor, ER and hospital more than ever. With Carter's broken arm we have been to the ER and the doctor countless times in the last 5 weeks - and more to go. With me being pregnant, I have been to the OB doctor a couple of times so far - and more to go. Then over the weekend, I got to experience my own time at the ER and only overnight stay at the hospital with the exception of giving birth - and that was way more fun!!

I had my first and hopefully last kidney stone on Sunday. Unless you've ever had one, there is no way to describe it to you other than this: I went through natural child birth with Carter - no epidural, nothing. As soon as we made it to the ER Sunday night, I was begging for pain meds! Yes, it really was worse than child birth. I think for me, it was the fact that you at least get a break in between contractions and you get to go home with a baby. In the case of the kidney stones, there is no comfort. None, unless it comes by way of an IV drip. In all reality it's making me rethink how tough I really am... If I can handle giving birth with nothing but can't manage kidney stone, am I going to be able to make though the next child birth? I'd like to think so, because those kidney stones are rough on a person.

Fortunately, I was able to pass it without much incident, which is good, because since I'm pregnant, they really try to avoid doing anything surgical. I didn't get much sleep Sunday night in the hospital - for the pain, trying to keep up with the morphine button and going to the bathroom all night long. I think I would doze for 20 minutes or less at a time. By the time 3:00 am rolled around, I was pretty much awake. I did doze a bit here and there, but definitely not a restful night. My husband, bless his heart, stayed with me the whole time. He and his dad went on a weekend trip and Jeremy had just gotten home Sunday afternoon about 1:00 or 1:30. We left for the ER at 4:00. He slept in the little window seat thing at the hospital. He is a trooper and I love him very much. I think he was really looking forward to sleeping in his own bed.

Monday afternoon when we went to pick up Carter from Jeremy's mom & dad's, Carter had a stuffy nose and a terrible cough. I'm sure you can imagine what that did for everyone's sleep last night. All I can say right now is that I'm running on little to nothing and can't wait for the next time I can take a nap or sleep a full 6-8 hours. Sounds like heaven!!

So - here's my plea to God - please keep us from visiting the ER. Ever. Again. Now and Forever More. Amen.

On another note, my co-worker's daughter, Megan, with Cystic Fibrosis, got very sick over the weekend. Please keep her in your prayers!

0 comments: