Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm Hooked


I know what you're going to say - probably the same thing my husband said last night - "You really watch stuff like this when I'm not here?" The answer, plainly, is Yes. I do. I'm not incredibly proud of it, but I'm hooked. The Bachelor on ABC is my new show. Although American Idol starts up again tonight, I rarely watch past the first few weeks of horrific (sometimes pleasantly surprising) auditions. The only thing that makes me feel better about myself than watching those auditions is going to Wal-Mart, but that's an entirely different post.


The Bachelor... here's the idea, in case you live on Mars and don't know: One guy. 25 girls trying to get him to fall in love with her. The first night he narrowed it down to 15. He will continue to narrow down the girls he doesn't feel that spark with until only one remains - his future wife. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of disagreements about the show: what girl would want to throw herself in a shark tank of 24 other catty women for a chance to "fall in love" with a guy you don't know? How can you say on day 3 that this is the "guy of your dreams" and you want to be the mother of his kids? Do you know his middle name?
Having said that, I do find it incredibly romantic that this guy is trying to find his true love. After years being a self-described "nice guy who finishes last", it's his turn to find love and to have his happily ever after.

Then last night, oh last night, there was a scandal. One of the girls entered into an "inappropriate relationship" with a staff member. The Bachelor really liked this girl, liked really. He cried when he found out the producers made her leave and they fired the staffer. (For once I can say, good for ABC.)

I'm routing for Ali... They are so adorable together!

Why am I so caught up in this? I'm not really a reality show fan, with the exception of the Food Network and HGTV, but those don't really count. I think it's because it's romantic, it's better than half the other crap on TV and I get lonely after Carter goes to bed and Jeremy's not home yet from work. Call me cheesy, it's fine. I can handle it.

The worst part? You all are probably going to see updates as the show continues... sorry! :)

0 comments: