Friday, August 27, 2010

Number 2

Somedays I wish "Number 2" was my evil sidekick like Dr. Evil had on Austin Powers. But it's not. Number 2 is the bright orange cast Carter is sporting. He is completely prepared for Opening Day. There will be a Number 3. I'm sure what color that one will be, but I'm voting for lime green. Why not?

At our last dr. appt, they cut off the full arm blue cast.

Remember this one?

Carter did really well!! They told him it would tickle and he smiled and giggled while they cut it off. Then we had to walk down to x-ray to see the progress of healing. When they were done taking like 20 pictures, we went back to the room to await the results. The pictures were not what I had hoped for. They showed that while the ulna still had a visible crack/fracture, it is healing well. His radius, however, not so much. Sometime in the last two weeks of wearing the full arm cast, the radius has slipped out of place, but has already started to heal. So what's our next move? Nothing. At least that's what the doctors told us. I was less than happy about that. The kept saying, "he's 3 - he'll be fine!" Maybe I'm completely overreacting, but I want his bones to be straight, not "molded" together, as they tell me a 3 year old will do in this situation. Do I want to put him through a surgery to correct it at this point? Not really. Do I want to get to the end of six weeks with at least 3 different casts and have them tell me, "Um, this really didn't turn out like we'd hoped...." Not so much. What are our options? According to everyone I talk to, whom I'm sure they all think I'm crazy, we have none. We wait. In another 2 weeks, we'll go back, take more x-rays, and get yet another cast. I'm hoping that the x-rays at the next appt. will put my mind at ease. Jeremy and I are worried about the future effects of his bone possibly not healing properly. I am not a doctor and I am by no means an expert, but I am a mom and that's got to count for something. They are telling me that because he's so young and his bones are so "moldable" that the gap in his bones will fill in and there will be no issues in the future. At first I thought, "If you say so..." but then I thought, I don't know that I'm willing to accept that, just because "you say so." I don't know - this has not been a good subject for me, because I don't have a solution, but I still think there is a problem. I don't know what we should do, but I don't know that I want to let this go. Maybe it's really not that big of a deal. Like I said, I'm not an expert. But for now, it is what it is. I hope I'm proved wrong by the end of this ordeal and everything turns out just as they say it will.

Carter is handling all this like a champ! He is cheery and active and has not once, NOT ONCE!!, complained about his cast - any of them! He is such brave kid! Still an ornery kids who loves his Mom!!


Katie said...

Wow, he's one tough little guy! I'd probably be freaking out about the bone issue, too. Having never broken any bones, I have zero advice or insight. I'll be praying for him!