Thursday, November 13, 2008

Who Sleeps?

I sometimes wonder that I'm the only one having issues with their baby sleeping...  Lately, Carter will not sleep for anything!  Not only are we trying to break the night-time bottle habit, Jeremy & I would love to have our bed back.  It would also be really great to have Carter sleep through the night!  (Or at least most of it!)  I'm afraid that in trying to break one "bad" habit, I'm just creating more.  For example, I was thrilled that Carter likes to watch the Baby Einstein DVDs, so I can get some dishes done, or dinner started.  However, this is turning out to not be as good of an idea as I had first thought.  Now, not only does he want to watch the movies, he wants to watch them over and over and over - sometimes at 1:30 or 2:00 in the morning!  Carter will sleep from 8:00 or 8:30 until 10:30 or 11:00.  Then he's up and I mean he's up!  All he wants to do is sit on my lap and watch Baby Einstein over and over and over until he falls asleep at like 4:30 or so!  I tried really hard last night - I kept telling him, "No, Carter, it's bed time.  We're not watching your movie now.  It's time for bed."  I even offered to let him sleep with us in Mom & Dad's bed, but that didn't even help.  So, getting frustrated, I laid him in his new "big boy" bed (he HATED his crib from day one!!) and told myself I'd let him cry it out.  Pretty soon, I hear the pitter-patter of his little feet on the floor roaming his room, then the hallway.  I get up and put him back in bed and attempt to lay with him.  At this point he is crying so hard that he throws up all the milk he's had so far....  and I thought dirty diapers were bad!  I was not about to tackle any laundry projects at this point, so I strip him down and, once again tell him it's bedtime.  I finally gave in at almost 2:00 this morning and took him downstairs to watch Baby MacDonald.  
In an effort to keep my own sanity, I've done some looking around on the internet about this and have found that the Ferber Method is quite popular.  I figure it's worth a shot.  They do recommend that you start this when you can afford to lose some sleep.  Maybe over Thanksgiving week, when I have a few days off from school.   What do I do in the meantime?  If anyone has any infinite words of wisdom, I would most definitely appreciate it!

0 comments: