Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chapter 5

Respect and Submission. Wives are called in the Bible to respect their husbands - not love them. Oh yes, we still love our husbands but our greater calling (and first commandment as a wife) is to respect them. This can be hard. The author gave many great examples of unconditional respect - don't second guess or question decisions was the biggest one for me. I am constantly asking my husband to make a decision and then say, "Oh. Well, I was thinking we could..." Unintentional disrespect is the hardest. I don't realize I do it, but I do.

Submission. Yikes. This one gets a very bad rap. For me, I think submission is letting your husband rule the roost so to speak. We also need to help and encourage our husbands to be the leader of our household and family. This one is also hard for me. There was a story in the book about a woman whose husband didn't want anything to do with the finances. He had decided that it should be left to his wife. He didn't want to be bothered with it, don't talk about it, just do it. Oh, and make sure there is money in the account for when I want or need some. For a second, I thought this was my story! Wait, it IS my story. I am actively trying to involve Jeremy in our finances, but alas, he wants nothing to do with it.

My goal in the coming weeks/months is to encourage and allow Jeremy to take a more active role in leading our family in all aspects. It's gonna be hard, but with God's help, it will happen.

Side note: I am LOVING this book. So many of the examples and stories seem to come right out of the pages of my life. I feel like this book was written not only for me, but about me. One of my all-time 'highly-recommended' books!

0 comments: