Thursday, February 4, 2010

Calzone Recipe

I had a request for the recipe I used for the calzones. Here it is. Sorry it took me so long...
My disclaimer is that I cannot personally endorse this recipe - I've never actually eaten it, but my husband really liked it.

1/2 lb. hot breakfast sausage
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
8 oz can Rotel
8 oz Ricotta cheese
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese shredded
1/2 c. monterey jack cheese shredded
1 egg
pizza dough (I used PW's recipe, but you could definitely use whatever - store bought, your favorite recipe, etc.)

Combine meats and onion in a skillet. Brown & drain. Add the Rotel, mix well and remove from heat.

In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, both cheeses and egg. Season with salt & pepper. Add cooled meat mixture to cheese mixture and combine well. Divide pizza dough into 8 equal balls - roll into 6 inch circles. Place 1/8 mixture onto each circle and fold over. Press sides with a fork to seal. Brush with olive oil and back 12-15 minutes @ 450 degrees.

Note: I didn't make it like this. I was sick, I couldn't see straight, I didn't follow the recipe. I used only hot breakfast sausage, no rotel and only mozz cheese. I'm sure PW's way is better, but I was all about cutting corners that night! If you try it, let me know what you think or any variations you made. Good luck and good eating!