Thursday, February 12, 2009

Something New - New Addition

Does anyone else ever get tired of making the SAME things for dinner all the time?  It's so frustrating trying to come up with something new.  My husband, bless his heart, is such a good sport about me trying new things.  Maybe a once or twice a week, I'll try to post a new recipe. Here's today's:


Valentine Meatballs

1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 lbs. ground beef
2 envelopes dry onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, toss together the cheese & mushrooms.  In a separate bowl, mix together the beef and onion soup mixes.  Divide the beef into 12 to 16 balls, then form small, thin heart shaped patties.  Press an indention in to the center of half of the hearts, and fill with cheese & mushrooms.  Place another patty on top, and press to seal the hearts around the filling.  Place in a shallow baking dish.
Back for 30 to 40 minutes until beef is well done and filling is hot.

So, I haven't actually tried this one, but it looks good.  A thing or two that I would change or do differently:  My husband is not a mushroom fan.  I would either leave this out all together or substitute it with something, like bell pepper, maybe.  Also, I might use Monterey Jack cheese instead of Swiss - once again, my husband's not a big fan.  If I had a small-ish heart shaped cookie cutter, I would definitely use that.  There's no way I could get those things to even closely resemble a heart doing it free hand!  Once I try it, I'll let you all know how it goes!

0 comments: